March 20, 2020
Aloha KANU 'Ohana,
FREE MEALS will be provided for keiki during the related COVID-19 extended spring break and campus closure.
To be able to do this, the Hawaii State Department of Education will be implementing the Seamless Summer Option (SSO) program a few months earlier than scheduled, as approved by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Hawaii Child Nutrition Programs (HCNP). A total of 39 designated Hawaii public schools across the state will be providing breakfast and lunch through this program. Meal Service is scheduled to begin on 3/23 or 3/24 and run through Friday, April 3rd, 2020. We will keep you informed if this meal program gets extended for a longer period of time.
As of Today:
- Breakfast and Lunch is free to children 18 years or younger.
- Each individual child must be present in person to pick up their own meal.
- Schools will serve meals until everyone in line is served or until they run out of meals.
- Meals WILL NOT BE SERVED on Thursday, March 26, 2020 (Prince Kuhio Day Holiday)
- At this time, meals for adults cannot be accommodated and there are no seconds or special diet accommodations.
- No sign-up, sign-in, or registration needed.
- Meals will be placed in grab-and-go containers and located outside of the school’s cafeteria, preferably closest to a driveway or natural access point.
- Look for signage and helpers as you approach the school. Each school has its own unique set up.
- Interaction with cafeteria staff will be limited, entering the cafeteria is off limits, and all meals must be taken off campus for consumption for the safety of everyone. No congregating in parking lots.
- You can take your child to pick up a meal at your nearest or most convenient location listed below. *If you are on another island, let me know and Iʻll provide a list of schools for that island.
- Breakfast service hours: 7:30 - 8:00 a.m. Due to food safety, the meal must be consumed by 10 a.m.
- Lunch service hours: 11:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. (noon) Due to food safety, the meal must be consumed by 2 p.m.
- BIG ISLAND Schools Serving Meals beginning Monday, March 23, 2020
-Kohala High. -Konawaena High. -Kau High& Intermediate -Pahoa High & Intermediate -Waiakea High
- BIG ISLAND Schools Serving Meals beginning Tuesday, March 24, 2020
-Waimea Elementary -Honokaa High -Kahakai Elementary
**Waimea Elementary pick up is at their cafeteria parking lot**
Please contact me if you should have any questions. We will communicate any new information as it is confirmed.
Allyson Tamura, K-12 Campus Po'o Kula. (email@example.com; work cellphone 808-345-8131)